The history of the Dubrovnik airport can be divided into four different periods, the first of witch began in 1936. at an airport in a place called Gruda in Konavle. After the Secand World War the airport was rebuilt in a new location in Čilipi, where it stands today.
1936 - 1961
1936 - Early air traffic on a grass air strip at Gruda (Konavle).
1940 - Air travel was innterupted because of the Second World War
1960 - Start of the construction of a new airport at the current location.
1962 - 1991
1962 - Beginning of new airport operation
1968 - Construction of TWY ‘W1’ + TWY ‘B’
1970 - Construction of Apron (west part) – 21.000m2
1971 - Runway extension by 700 m + TWY ‘W2’ (west part)
1973 - Construction of garage-technical facilities - 24000 m2
1974 - Construction of domestic air traffic terminal - 1800 m2
1975 - Construction of common briefing station
1976 - Construction of international air traffic terminal - 3500 m2
1977 - Reconstruction of the asphalt runway surface
1978 - Construction of energy unit for central electricity supply - 800 m2
1980 - Construction of public fuel pump
1985 - Construction of Apron (east part) – 26.000m2
- Construction of TWY ‘I’ + TWY ‘E’ – length 800m
1987 - Construction of Apron for general aviation – 3.500m2
1988 - Construction of new cargo storage - 4500m2
1990 - Levelling of terrain for installation of ILC (direction 30)
1991 - 1992
Occupation of Dubrovnik Airport by Yugoslav aggressor army, total devastation and plundering of all equipment.
1992 - 1993 - Reconstruction of infrastructure and cargo storage (temporarily use as passenger building)
1994 - Reconstruction of administration building
1995 - Reconstruction of passenger terminal
1996 - Reconstruction of shopping area
1998 - Purchase of equipment for aircraft landing
1999 - Reconstruction and extension of international air traffic terminal
2000 - Installation of landing lights for direction 30
2001 - Aircraft and passengers handling equipment purchase (pax bus, pax steps, minibus)
Reconstruction of runway shoulders at Treshold 12
2002 - Duty free shop extension. Construction of wiry fence with rescue road around the airfield area. Investment in additional power supply system
- Levelling of the runway strip
2003 - Manoeuvring surfaces renovation. Runway threshold zones resurfacing. Runway sholders reparation
2004 - Construction of new bus parking area with 33 parking stands. Construction of car parking area with 200 stands and new exit road.
- Reconstruction of the apron and treshold 12 concrete surface. Investment in parks and green areas
2005 - Reconstruction of the apron concrete surface. Reconstruction of cargo storage object
2006 - Reconstruction of the apron and taxiway "C" concrete surface.
- Construction of new Bulding A (Sorting Room) temporarly used for passenger check-in and departure
2007 - Construction of tunnel "T"
- Construction of heliport Dubrovnik
- Sewage treatment plant
- Production of Dubrovnik Airport Master Plan 2007 - 2027
2008 - Rent a car facilities
- Opening of Đurović Cave
- Lead-in and obstacle lights for RWY30
2009 - Reconstruction and Construction of building "B"
2010 - Opening of a new building "B".
- New baggage Handling System – arrivals.
2011 - Reconstruction of manoeuvring surfaces
2012 - Extension of Apron (west part) – 12.000m2
- New Apron parking layout (parking positions)
- Production of Master Plan for Period 2012 - 2032
2013 - Demolition of old passenger block and beginning of construction of Building C
2014 - Mounting of two aiplane bridges to Building B
- Interior decoration of offices and construction of the roof of Cargo Block
- Construction of the object and purchase of Cargo X-ray machine (EU fond IPA Adriatic)
- Production of environment impact study and Dubrovnik Airport urban planning scheme